M.A.

wrote in
oups.com:

Our GE washer is about 20 years old, and the faithful ol' thing
has developed its first serious problem. It fills with water
fine, but when I pull the knob to begin the agitation cycle it
does not agitate. Instead it makes a noise that's a bit grindy.

Coincidentally, I noticed that the water pump leaks. That
couldn't relate to the above problem, could it?

I'm having a problem with a G.E. Profile washer that doesn't agitate.
It doesn't seem to have a mechanical time, but an electronic control
circuit card instead. I have been able to apply power to the motor and
make it agitate, but the control board never puts power on these lines
itself. I do not have a schematic of the control board or I could probably
fix it. Has anyone else seen a washer like this before? It is about three
years old.