Hugo Nebula

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:06:32 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named
chris French randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

We are selling our house, ...

So a letter arrives today saying he is saying that we take out an
indemnity policy because of this (to cover the buyers against whatever
potential liability they would be exposed to).

But it got me wondering as to what liabilities - if any, someone would
have this sort of situation if BRA was required?. Is there some sort of
open ended liability for things built without BRA (like there is for
listed building consents say)?

IANAL, but IMHO these indemnity policies seem to be a rip-off. They
only seem to cover a risk that doesn't exist.

The only 'risk' is if the work is so dangerous that the Council take
out an injunction to pull down or otherwise alter the work. However,
this is so rare, I've not even heard of this being done, much less
taken one out.

There are other provisions of the Building Act relating to dangerous
buildings, but these apply to any building whether or not any work was
carried out.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"