Wayne Whitney

On 2005-03-19, toller wrote:

Certainly. But without a AFCI the two circuits would have to be on opposite
legs because of the shared ground

Why do you believe that to be the case, can you indicate a section of
the NEC that requires it? I thought that if you are running two
circuits in conduit, for example, it was standard to only pull one
EGC. Is there a requirement to have a separate EGC for each circuit?

So while 12-2-2 can be used without AFCI, it would not make sense to do so.

Admittedly it is a speciality product, but I can see other places it
would make sense. For example, in a kitchen setting with two small
appliance circuits, protected by separate GFCI outlets, you need to
separate the neutrals downstream of the GFCIs.

Cheers, Wayne