The Natural Philosopher

daveasbury wrote:

It is not clear between what elements the cracks are appearing- please
elucidate.

Rick

Sorry when i re-read my post i realised i wasn't so clear.

The cracks appear between each joint of wood. Originally I was going to
screw straps of aluminium on the underside of each piece across the joints.I
was advised it wouldn't be required. It's too late now as they are in place.

So its cracks between butting pieces of MDF? Or angled corners?

The only way to clear butt cracks (ok ok ok;-)) is to either really tie
the bits togeher, or to make the crack big enough to stuff something a
bit flexible in. (ok ok ok ;-))

I would suggest if you have this type of problem that opening the crack
up with a dremel or maybe jigsaw used in a perpedndicular fashion to
normal, would allow either flexible sealer or car body filler to be
rammed in (lord: this ought to be in alt.gerbils)

Or simply scrape the wood clkear of paint, and use a bit of lightweight
glass cloth and epoxy or polyester resin to form a really solid surface.

If its a 90 degree joint, then rin a fat bead of decorators caulk down
it to make a smoothly curved fillet.

It's really depressing as the rest of the room is "perfect".

I know the feeling...Ive got some wall made of MDF and its all crcaked
between the panels.

I'll be following my advice on that some day...brobably gouge out a v
shaped crack and use caulk...

Any help appreciated.