The Natural Philosopher

chris French wrote:

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

In this case it seems utterly specious, because any modifications and
structures that are more than 12 years old are I think de-facto
outside buliding control's remit.

It's be handy if someone could point to some documentation on this
aspect. I've heard various figures on this point, but I've not been
successfully been able to search out anything on the web on it.

Well heres a few things of note from 2000 building regs

- a structure that is not to regulations can be ordered to be pulled
down provided that a notices is issued withn twelve months of te
completein of that work.

Interesting Because completion is defined by the issueance of a building
control certificate.....

- Bulding regulations do NOT apply to existing structures. They apply to
BUILDING WORK which is defined as

Erection or extension of a building

Material alteration of a bulding, controlled service, or fitting (e.g..
fitting a new boiler, new windows etc.)

The provision of such as above (e.g. installation of a CH system)

Work when a material change of use is to take place. I take this to mean
that e.g. converting a farmhouse to holiday flats, any or all of the
work is covered.

Insertion of insulating material into cavity walls, Odd that they had to
make a special case of that one.

Underpinning of a building. That's odd too.

Anwyay, in addition to that things like car ports are normally exempt
from control.

Planning is anoher mater. Unplanned erections (sic!) may be required to
be removed by the council. However I am fairly sure there is a statute
of limitations on these: After 12 years its assumed no one really
mnonded after all.

Anyway, in this case it's meaningless as the car port is exempt from
building regs anyway. (well current ones, god knows what those in 1968
said)