Bob Eager

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:07:40 UTC, ":::Jerry::::" wrote:

To were, and from who? I've had mail returned several days after
sending, in the return info it stated that the (my) server had
attempted 'x' times to deliver but each attempt has failed - IOW the
receiving server throws it back to the sending server true, but then
what happens if the sending server has been set up to try again 'x'
times before it returns it to the originator....

A sending server that fails to find an MX record (because the name
doesn't exist) will generally throw it back straight away. This is
different to the case where there *is* an MX record (i.e. the name is
valid) but there is no mail server actually running.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!