Bob Minchin

Default Fridges: weird "fast freeze" switch

"D.M. Procida" wrote:

The instruction guide for our Bosch fridge tells us to press a certain
switch under two circumstances:

1: if the room temperature is below 18 degrees C
2: if we want to fast freeze stuff

What actually does this switch do? Why should the fridge need a switch
for different room temperatures? And why would the switch for having a
cold room (in which your fridge should need to work less hard) be the
same one for freezing stuff quickly (for which it should work harder)?

Daniele

Hi Danielle,

I expect this is a single compressor fridge freezer. It is widely know
(especially in this NG) that this type of machine has a design compromise
whereby if the room temperature is too low, the compressor does not switch
on and the freezer defrosts.

Do not let the house temperature drop too low , for example if you go away
for a few days in the winter months otherwise you will return to a freezer
full of thawed goods. Also never install these types in the garage for the
same reason.

hth

Bob