George E. Cawthon

Guy Castonguay wrote:
Anyone had a chance to use them? Which one would you recommend? I am
partially blind and a newbie at wood working and would appreciate your
feedback. Working without one is out of the question for the obvious reason.

Regards

Guy Castonguay

Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada

You've got a lot of replies. Personally I would
go with the saw board. I have one of the aluminum
saw guides and it works ok, but you have to figure
out the distance to clamp it to saw on a line. It
works ok, but the clamps are a bit weak. I plan
on making a saw board as I have to cut a bunch of
doors to width. And I suggest that you make your
own. Lots of instructions, but basically you
start with a 4x8 sheet of good 1/2 plywood. The
manufactured edge will be straight so you cut off
a 2-3" strip (doesn't have to be a real straight
cut, which will form the basis for your straight
edge. You will still have an 8' x 30" (or more)
piece of plywood to make another 8' saw board
which you can cut into a 3' and a 5' piece. So
now you have 8', 5', and 3' saw board for the
price of sheet of 1/2 plywood and far handier than
an aluminum guide and you set edge directly on the
line to cut. If you don't quite understand
someone here will send you to a site that gives
detailed instructions.