WillR

WillR wrote:
Arch wrote:
=20
Will, be careful. I think you got it right, but you might get your no=

se
tweaked for saying "precise" if you meant "accurate". I did once and=

still don't understand the difference. Or care! I think it has to do
with repeatability. Maybe somebody will set both of us 'cynics' straig=

ht
(ie.without curves or angles) G)

Turn to Safety, Arch =20
Fortiter

Arch:
=20
I must apologize - I forgot the following..
=20
When multiplying or dividing -- the percentage of error adds absolutely=

,=20
when adding and subtracting, the absolute error adds absolutely.
=20
That would make it clear why you have the rules about guard digits and =

places of precision.
=20
For example if you multiply two number together, (and you had been able=

=20
to make the measurements and obtain the two numbers to 5% accuracy...) =

The resulting answer would be accurate to 10% -- so any digits beyond=20
the first decimal place would be guard digits or used for rounding...
=20
So you could haver 5 decimal places of precision -- but the number woul=

d=20
be accurate to one decimal place...
=20
So in this situation if you had 1.115 (plus as many digits more as you =

please since they are not relevant) in the calculator window after the =

calculation -- the _answer_ would be 1.1 and be accurate to _one_=20
decimal place... No matter what your calculator said...
=20
All kidding aside -- you should remember this when doing calculations=20
when you multiply or divide measured numbers.
=20
=20
Adding or subtracting..
1 1/2 (+- 1/16 ) + 1 1/4 (+- 1/16) is 2 3/4 (+- 2/16) or
=20
2 2/4 (+- 1/8 ) in other words... Because it is the ABSOLUTE SUM of the=

=20
two estimated errors that is the error factor.
=20
=20
Now you made me think... That was terrible. But --- Not too bad for a=20
guy with a degree in Basket Weaving huh?
=20
Anyone with eng, phys or math degrees - don't even hassle me about this=

=20
or I will pop a cork. LOL
=20
=20
You asked for it. You got it. Don't complain.
=20
=20

uh 2 3/4 (+- 1/8 ) in other words... Because it is the ABSOLUTE SUM of=20
the two estimated errors that is the error factor.

Now you know why it was basket weaving...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw