Paul C. Proffitt

If the piece is small enough you can engrave it directly. Many things
are too big. On those occasions you can make laser engraved medallions.
The ones I make for myself or friends are matched to their 1" forstner
bit and typically made from 1/8" (3mm) baltic birch or similar plywood.
The medallions can be engraved with just about anything you want from
just your name to a complex logo. They could also be made from veneers,
but most people believe the thinness of the veneer doesn't leave you
much room for a final sanding after the medallion is glued in.

What's really nice though is when you can engrave the piece directly.
I've made laser engraved, tamboured placemats, business cards and
bookmarks made from paper-backed veneers and a few other interesting
items. Just getting started with it and working on more ideas.

The price for the medallions would vary depending on how many and what
they are made from. I've made them in lots of 100 for $50 ($0.50 each)
from baltic birch plywood. Not trying to advertise, just trying to
answer the question.

wrote:
Nick Silva wrote:

I laser my maker's mark on,

I'd be interested in source/price for such a device as well. Are you
talking about a table type device, or a handheld laser?