WillR

Arch wrote:
Will, be careful. I think you got it right, but you might get your nos=

tweaked for saying "precise" if you meant "accurate". I did once and =

still don't understand the difference. Or care! I think it has to do
with repeatability. Maybe somebody will set both of us 'cynics' straigh=

(ie.without curves or angles) G)
=20
=20
Turn to Safety, Arch =20
Fortiter
=20
=20
=20
=20

Ah what the ....

If you mean numbers -----

Don't say 1.23456789 when at best you are 10% accurate (say in reading a =

ruler) -- in other words 1.2 is ok -- the extra digits represent=20
precision - but are meaningless. (BS baffles brains -- IOW -- if you=20
want the _precise_ mathematical terminology. Now If you want=20
_mathematical_ precision I will scan the entry from (one of) my=20
Mathematics Dictionary and post it.)

Saying 1.235 to carry on a calculation - keeping the 3 and the 5 as=20
"guard digits" would be ok -- as long as you remember to present only=20
one decimal in the final answer -- in this example... If on the other=20
hand you are within 1% you can present 2 decimal places of precision=20
(and it will be considered _accurate_) - and carry one, or two, (or even =

three if you are a mathematical heretic) guard digits -- depending on=20
your mathematical religion and the capacity of your numeric processors.=20
Hope that is clear. WARNING! Other mathematically inclined people are=20
likely to choke on this definition as I have not demonstrated the=20
required rigor, nor have I inserted the required squiggles. But dinner=20
is waiting and I know my priorities.

If you want the examples in mod 2, 7,8,5(bi-quinary), 11,13, 16 64 or=20
base 256 (represented as Hex) [as opposed to base 10] I can do those=20
quickly -- if it would make you more comfortable. Other bases will make=20
me think overly long and I will pop a mental fuse as there is a very=20
delicate balance these days. I refuse to do it in the natural logs - but =

leave that to the interested reader (insane of course.)

I have made no attempt at rigor here. But _could_ bore you into a seven=20
year nap if you are an insomniac and need relief...

Just responding to the nose tweak.

However, here, precise was used in a different modality. I believe I=20
meant exact -- which I believe to be a correct usage -- but will change=20
my language if it offends. LOL

Hope you never ask a question (make a point) like that again and I have=20
done my best to see that you don't. ROTFL

But -- if it was a new usage -- I claim copyright and first dibs and all =

that stuff. Clear?

Gotcha! Wake up D***It!

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw