Marvin W. Klotz

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:17:32 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

This gives a gear ratio of 6.1294. I need a really good guess on the number
of teeth in the drive and driven gear. For example, if the drive gear has 10
teeth and the driven gear has 60 teeth, the ratio would be exactly 6.00.
There's a zillion possibles, I'm looking for one that give a number within a
couple tenths(.0002) of this ratio.

What you need to do is a continued fraction expansion of 6.1294. Using the
program on my site, I get:

RATIONAL FRACTION APPROXIMATION

Number to approximate ? 6.1294
Desired approximation accuracy [0.01 %] ?

Number = 6.1294
6 & 11/85 = 521/85 = 6.129411765
Approximation Error = 0.00909174 %

A 521:85 gear ratio sounds mighty unlikely. I suspect you need to determine the
numerical value more accurately.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo

--
HSM Freeware Programs at
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo