The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:

John Edgar wrote:

We have a very small area of wall, low down in a corner, which

suffers

from condensation. Apart from moving the air around with a fan, is
there any sort of wall treatment which will prevent condensation
staining? I have heard of a special wall paper which does this, and
then you paint onto it if you want.

Do such products exist and if so where can they be bought?

You can get expanded polystyrene rolls which you can paper or paint -

they indent badly, though. You can also get anti-condensation paint.

I'm trying anti-condensation paint at the moment, although our
condensation is causing localised slight mould growth rather than the
condensation being visible itself. The paint does seem to stop our
problem, but I'm not sure if it's more due to fungicides in the paint
rather than the insulation aspects. I'm also looking at more
substantial insulation for some closets built into outside walls that
get very cold and cause the same problem, but I'm not sure what way to
go here. The polystyrene rolls look too fragile, so I might go for cork
tiles or thin celotex.

Has anyone tried using and painting celotex boards on the visible side
of walls?

Really, just use almost anything. Cork tiles with lining paper? thin
celotex if you must, but paper it over.

All you want is about 3mm of something fairly much less conductive than
solid brick. Tounge and grove panelling? Bary Bucknall Hardboard?
Rendering with expanding foam? Dry lining with plasterboard?