Ed Sirett

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:49:23 -0800, bruce_phipps wrote:

In my living room, a spur from the ring main runs to a FCU near the
skirting board. From the FCU, cable runs up a chase in the wall to a
wall unit display lamp, which is operated via a switch adjacent to the
FCU.

I don't use the wall lamp and plan to replace the FCU with a single or
double socket, giving me access to extra sockets on that particular
wall.

Any problems with doing this?

You will almost certainly be OK.

However there are a few gotchas to do with locations where FCUs are OK but
sockets aren't - such as in a bedroom with en-suite shower. No applicable
here.

It is unlikely, but there can be unusual arrangements for circuits where
this might not be acceptable. If this is a spur in 2.5 T&E off a normal
32A MCB + ring circuit then you should be fine. Unless this would make
the circuit so long that the trips times are too excessive, unlikely with
an MCB.

You can get a double socket that fits onto a single back box.