Mike Marlow

"WillR" wrote in message

Suspect that you are hinting it should be absorbed in "the general cost
of doing business" -- but not sure. I was disabused of that notion long
ago: a. By cost accountants; b. By losing money on small jobs.

Suspision confirmed - but only because the consultative effort was small.

I have learned quite a bit about how people do business in WW from this
discussion. Not really sure where I stand yet. But I am leaning towards
the conservative costing approach I learned in the past -- so yes I
think (guess) you made some conclusions -- and were right if so.

I lean toward what you are referring to as the conservative approach when I
contract to to things as well. No matter whether it's painting a car,
building something, repairing something, etc. One only has to operate in an
environment where consumables prevail, for a short time to develop a genuine
understanding of overhead. Having said that, there is the other side of me
that represents my value add, which is my expertise or my experience or even
my sense of "another way". It's that side of me that is free to say "have
you considered this instead?". That value add is, for me, overhead in that
it's not priced out in the project. It is something I expect to do and it's
something I believe customers can expect of me. It's something that I would
not think to charge for. It's a small and simple up front engagement that
hopes to ensure that the project will succeed and both parties will be
satisfied in just one iteration of the job.

--

-Mike-