billh

"mac davis" wrote in message
I don't think this is a critical question, but it does sort of worry me...

Does anyone know of a downside for the lathe to have one end of the
stand/table
higher than the other?

My Jet mini usually sits level on the stand, but if I'm hollowing
something,
especially if it's small and deep, I've been putting a 4x4 under the tail
stock
end of the lathe so this ol' back bends less...

Could this hurt the lathe?

Maybe put a side load on the bearings or something?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I know that General says my lathe should be level and I have heard it
mentioned about cast gradually "flowing" over time such that the bed could
develop a twist which means the HS and TS alignment would not be the same
over the length of the bed. I don't think level is the right word. I think
the proper terminology should be that the base is sitting flat (ie, in the
same plane) at all contact points.
Billh