Bill Rubenstein

Mac:

The bearings don't know the difference between up and down. You might
cause a little twisting of the casting but the headstock end is solid
enough that it isn't likely to move. So, the main effect would be to
put the tailstock and headstock out of alignment. But, since you are
hollowing, you aren't using the tailstock. So, no problem.

Another thought -- the load changes seen by the bearings would be
minimized if the spindle were completely vertical. I don't think that I
could turn very long under those conditions, though.

Bill

mac davis wrote:
I don't think this is a critical question, but it does sort of worry me...

Does anyone know of a downside for the lathe to have one end of the stand/table
higher than the other?

My Jet mini usually sits level on the stand, but if I'm hollowing something,
especially if it's small and deep, I've been putting a 4x4 under the tail stock
end of the lathe so this ol' back bends less...

Could this hurt the lathe?

Maybe put a side load on the bearings or something?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing