Charlie Self

Clemey asks:
SWMBO would like to paint the bookshelf instead of

staining. I am assuming it is a sin to paint oak so I thought I would
buy a cheaper species of wood that will provide a smooth surface for
painting. Since I don't have a planer/joiner I have been purchasing
wood from the Home Depot.

What are your opinions on the type of wood I should build this project
with? I planned on building the carcus/shelves out of birch plywood,
and the face frame and top with Pine lumber. Is this a reasonable
plan? Any other suggestions on wood choices? Is birch/pine too soft
for a kid's bookcase?

Hardwoods are way too costly at HD and Lowe's so that's a good reason
to avoid painting them--they are usually significantly more costly than
pine in other places, too, so painting oak is a waste more than a sin.

Poplar works nicely for bookcases, but is expensive at big box stores.
I recall someone I know buying some of their glued up pine
boards--Lowe's or HD, I don't recall which--and liking the results.

Unless your kid is going to take a hammer to the shelves, pine is
plenty hard. Keep actual shelf width under 30" to 32" for nominal 1"
(4/4, actual 3/4") stock and you should be okay. That is, you can make
the bookcase as wide as you wish, but the ends of each shelf must be
supported at the above intervals or closer. I might prefer 28", even,
if the kid is a climber. And that brings up a point: make sure you
secure the bookshelf to the wall!