Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

[brevitized]

Tom is right. We should be discussing things like -- oh say -- the best
way to stain cherry -- not the best way to hang political leaders. And
please -- nothing more on acetone...

Newsgroups are, if they're any good, somewhat like a neighbourhood pub.

Some patrons are here to refresh themselves.

Some are here to tell tall tales.

Some have a new (to them) joke to share.

Some talk about yesterday. (They don't make 'm like they used to)

Some talk about tomorrow. (One day, somebody is going to make a glue
dispenser that works)

Some just stroll in to take a whizz.

Some are just plain assholes looking for a fight.

Some sit in a corner and just want to be left-the-hell alone.

Some come in to meet up with a specific like-minded patron.

Some are here to discuss the day's events, either in their personal
lives, or on a world-wide scale.

Some patrons are cantankerous old farts.

Some patrons need to re-assert their own manliness by pushing other men
down so that they may look like they are 'better' or' winners', at least
in their own minds. ( A true winner's glory is elevated by the strength
of the contender who ended up in second place.) Anybody with half a
brain can beat up on a trollin' idiot.

The common interest, unlike the BikerBar down the street, or Plumber's
Pool Hall, up the road, in here, it's wooddorking. We try to help each
other. In my case, when I feel pretty sure I have a solution, I'll offer
it up. When I don't have a solution, why endanger somebody's life by
telling him, with certainty, to connect the blue wire to terminal 6?

I like it here, warts and all.

And to hell with politics and religion. There are pubs on the other side
of town that deal with those subjects...they're easy to spot..there's a
lot of blood on the floors.

0¿0

Rob

PS. I decided not to participate in the 100+-post 220 volt discussion
for two reasons: LRod was doing just fine by himself and why would I
confuse everybody with facts?
A two-pole induction motor, with no load, in North America will run at
3600 RPM not 3450 or 3500
A four-pole induction motor, with no load, in North America will run at
1800 RPM, not 1760 or 1745
Put a strobe on the shaft. Slippage doesn't occur till a load is put on.
When you take an amp-probe of a 2 HP Baldor(Quality) motor, with nothing
on the shaft, it can draw as little as 1 amp. When you add a load,
increasing it bit by bit (say..a clutch..or a sawblade in a piece of
wood), all that happens is that the current will increase to the point
where either the breaker blows or the motor bursts into flames. It is
the point at which the motor bursts into flames (preventable with bigger
gauge windings and better cooling) which tell you the rated HP. (Just
prior to the motor stalling there will be a reduction of RPM under
somewhat controlable conditions.
If your motor, under no load, say at 120 volts, draws 1.5 amp then, when
it puts out 2 HP it will draw 750x2/120= 12.5 amps PLUS 1.5 amp = 14
amps. Period. That will happen if the breaker is rated at 15 or 20 or 30
amps. (No semantics, please)
None of this works on universal (brushed) motors.