JLarsson

Hi all. A chessboard I had made for me is quite bowed, and I'd like

fix it. It is big though--almost 22" square. The stock is thick

enough
that I think this could be corrected.

Can I find a planer at a furniture shop so big? Otherwise it looks

like
a lot of sanding is in my future.

Getting it flat by hand: I was thinking of glueing the sand paper on

board and then placing my chessboard face-down and moving it back and
forth for a few weeks. I don't have a better idea on getting it flat,
and I probably can't hold a belt sander at the right angle to fix the
board and not ruin it with wrong and excessive removal.

I'm hardly a woodworker so a better solution is always welcome.

The suggestion about finding someone with a big thickness sander is a
good one. How thick is this chessboard? Which way is it bowed? You
are going to have to take material off of the top AND the bottom if you
want both to be flat when you're done.

JLarsson