Tom Dacon

I missed the OP on this because of my ISP's short-fuse policy on aging
posts, but here's my take on it:

Cut lists come out of the design room.

You roll up a sheet goods carrier, set up the table saw, adjust the saw for
each cut if it doesn't know how to do so itself, and run the sheet goods
through until you get a components stack.

You take some of the components to the shelf hole driller and shove them in
one end and they come out the other end drilled for the shelf supports.

Depending on your system, you take some of THOSE to the machine that drills
the hinge holes, set 'em up, and drill the hinge holes.

You take everything that needs edge-banding to the edge-banding machine, and
run them through, one edge at a time, filling up the glue pot whenever the
light comes on.

You take some of the components, set 'em up as the carcasses, and air-staple
them together.

You take the boxes and the shelves, and a bag of selected hardware, and run
them out to the site.

You set 'em in place, fasten them to the studs, install the hardware, adjust
the (purchased) doors for gap, slap the shelves in, and move off in a group
to the tavern and call it a day.

Done any woodworking yet, that you can identify?

Oh, and by the way, if your owner is enlightened, he'll have a really good
dust collector system, and the place will be clean.

And you throw away or hide any tapes that measure in inches, and use only
metric ones.

Regards,
Tom Dacon

"Mark" wrote in message
If you don't mind dust so thick you can't see the other end of the shop
and
doing repititious work that they haven't invented a machine for - you'll
love it.
Don't expect to start at the artist level.
Reliability is a big plus along with knowing how to operate the
machinery.
Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm wondering whether or not production-type millwork jobs are anything
like wooddorking. There's a definite appeal there, but I've found that
one of the fastest ways to stop enjoying something is to do it for a
living. If any of you have found that to be true (or complete BS),
then let me know.

I know, I know, every shop is different, but _how_ different can they
be? With regards to framing, a wall is a wall is a wall. No matter
who you're working for, the studs still go every sixteen inches, if you
know what I mean.

Without a "cabinet" notch on my toolbelt, am I qualified to work in a
cabinet shop, even though I understand and can apply terms like rail,
stile, carcass, dovetail and, most importantly, square? Scratch
that--most importantly, SAFE.

If I were to apply for work in a millwork shop, what would prospective
employers look for in desirable employees with regard to technical
skills?

Just wondering.
-Phil Crow