Mark

If you don't mind dust so thick you can't see the other end of the shop and
doing repititious work that they haven't invented a machine for - you'll
love it.
Don't expect to start at the artist level.
Reliability is a big plus along with knowing how to operate the machinery.
Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm wondering whether or not production-type millwork jobs are anything
like wooddorking. There's a definite appeal there, but I've found that
one of the fastest ways to stop enjoying something is to do it for a
living. If any of you have found that to be true (or complete BS),
then let me know.

I know, I know, every shop is different, but _how_ different can they
be? With regards to framing, a wall is a wall is a wall. No matter
who you're working for, the studs still go every sixteen inches, if you
know what I mean.

Without a "cabinet" notch on my toolbelt, am I qualified to work in a
cabinet shop, even though I understand and can apply terms like rail,
stile, carcass, dovetail and, most importantly, square? Scratch
that--most importantly, SAFE.

If I were to apply for work in a millwork shop, what would prospective
employers look for in desirable employees with regard to technical
skills?

Just wondering.
-Phil Crow