Harold and Susan Vordos

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
Jerry Foster wrote:

What is the material?

[..]

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote
I'm doing facing cuts and the tool is grabbing because the rake is too
positive (I think. There's a graunchy noise and the feed goes slack for

bit. Worse near the center, I'm not sure why. Chinese minilathe, 0.5 mm
cut, brazed carbide tool on cast iron).

Cast iron. Grey, fine-grained, not scrap.

[..]
It's not really practical to change or regrind the tool. I'm dead on
center height, and wondered whether changing the height might make it

better
by changing the effective rake somehow?

If so, which way? And why? I tried to work it out but got confused, and
came up with two different answers.

What I really wanted was a quick rundown on how changing tool height might
change the effective rake, and why. I'm sure I've read something about it,
but I can't remember where.

--
Peter Fairbrother

Changing tool height has a bit of an affect on rake, but very little. You
generally can't change the height of the tool enough to make much of a
difference. It has a profound affect on front clearance, however,
especially on small diameter cuts. If you're experiencing the tendency to
hog, reduce the front clearance a little, which will lower the hogging to
some degree. You can achieve a delicate balance where the feed rate is
just slightly less than the amount of clearance, so the tool isn't dragging,
but if it hogs, it bumps into the cut below the tip and stops the advance.
That's not a great way to go, but on a light machine it can be a useful
dodge. Good luck.

Harold