The Natural Philosopher

mike wrote:

I need to wall mount a Plasma TV that weighs roughly 16kg into a breeze
block wall. Given the weight of the item would it be "unwise" to use
standard raw plugs and screws like I would use to put up a should or a
cabinet. Or should I be looking a something else?

I've hung heavier TV's om walls than that. Mind you when drilling a hole
in the wall I was alarmed when a half brick fell out and daylight shone
through.

A bit of mortar had the brick and the rawlplug back in, in no time

Remember the weight is not trying to pull the rawlplug out, unless the
TV itself is rather badly designed. Weigh flat against the wall will
represent shear only on the screw, so its nothing like the full weight
doing the pull.

However, if you do end up with an oversized hole, whack in some car body
filler and press the plug into that. That is as near a perfect as its
possible to get for a screw And you can quote me on that :-)