Gary Brady

Steve Hopper wrote:
For anyone out there who knows about trailers:
Last year I bought what seemed to be a heavy-built,
double-axle trailer. While towing it home with
my Full size Chevrolet long-wheel base truck using
a 2" receiver, the trailer pushed the truck around
whenever I got above 40 mph. It seemed to 'fish-tail'.
I had no load on it whatsoever, but the tongue load
seemed higher than my other dual-axle trailer.
Would a too-heavy tongue load cause this fishtailing?
Many thanks. sdh.

Along with the other ideas presented here, be sure to check the tire
sizes and be certain they are all the same size. Smaller tires on the
back will cause a lightness of the tongue, which will in turn cause
fishtailing. Probably not a possibility on a factory built trailer, but
if yours is homebuilt, someone may have put smaller tires on the back.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX