Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
om...
What is the material? I have a hunk of steel round of indeterminate
ancestry (probably hot rolled...) that cuts like a piece of concrete and,

no
matter what I do, I can't get a decent finish on it. OTOH, other

materials
cut beautifully, using the same setup...

Jerry

Chuckle!

Hot rolled? That's not a material, it's a method of producing material.
It could be 1020 or 4340 just as easily.

From the description, what you have is chrome-moly. It likes to tear and
will usually yield a good finish only when run fast enough with carbide.
If you're using carbide and getting a finish that varies between shiny spots
and torn spots, you're likely using the wrong grade of carbide and
experiencing premature tip failure.

Harold.