Jerry Foster

What is the material? I have a hunk of steel round of indeterminate
ancestry (probably hot rolled...) that cuts like a piece of concrete and, no
matter what I do, I can't get a decent finish on it. OTOH, other materials
cut beautifully, using the same setup...

Jerry

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
I'm doing facing cuts and the tool is grabbing because the rake is too
positive (I think. There's a graunchy noise and the feed goes slack for a
bit. Worse near the center, I'm not sure why. Chinese minilathe, 0.5 mm

cut,
brazed carbide tool on cast iron).

It's not really practical to change or regrind the tool. I'm dead on

center
height, and wondered whether changing the height might make it better by
changing the effective rake somehow?

If so, which way? And why? I tried to work it out but got confused, and

came
up with two different answers.

Thanks,

--