John

I learned to TIG weld last because my local college made me finish
stick and OA before I could sign up. I guess they have their reasons
and have found it to be the best way for a teaching environment. And I
bought a MIG welder as my first welder because others said that was the
right thing to do.

But, an average person with average skills can learn TIG without
learning MIG, stick, or OA. Granted, they will learn some skills with
OA that will make it a little easier to learn TIG. But, they will
learn the same skills and gain the same insights if they jump into TIG.
And if you are buying your own welding machines, why spend $700 for a
MIG welder and another $400 for an OA outfit, just to find out that
when a welding project shows up, you go to the TIG welder. I know
there are cost considerations and other reasons, but IMHO, a new welder
should seriously consider going straight to a TIG setup. If you have
an interest in welding, you will eventually end up there, anyway.

I use mine for mild steel only, and it handles 22 gauge all the way
through 1/4" without blinking. It would probably handle 1/2" and
larger (God forbid, there are 300amps at 60% duty cycle in it), but I
don't build things out of metal that thick. And I believe it is
actually easier (well, maybe not easier than MIG). I can walk away
from the TIG welder for a month and when I come back, the hand/eye
motions come back within a few minutes. If I walk away from my stick
welder, I may as well retrain myself, else I just put globs of
electrode all over whatever I am trying to stick together.

TIG has way too much 'hype' about it. It is an great welding process
that can be used by anyone willing to invest a little effort. Which
probably includes anyone interested in welding enough to browse a forum
like this one.