jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

Their helium gas storage consisted of surplus tanks from Lakehurst
which had been brought on site. Because they were in somewhat
rough shape they had been de-rated down to about 500 psi
IIRC. But they had about 20 of them stacked up, each one
was about 3 ft in diameter and about 25 feet long.

Ah, so you stored it at high pressure then. The rubber bladder in
question was very low pressure; they compressed it on site as needed.

There was a low-pressure storage like that too. They ran a compressor
to pump to the hp tanks.

The main compressors for the liquifer were rotary-screw type.
They were driven with 500 hp motors IIRC. Nobody was allowed
in the compressor shed when they were running.

We were just doing an experiment there, but I got to know the
cryogenics group a bit and helped out some there. Very smart
folks.

Jim

please reply to: