Bob S.

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have always wondered a bit regarding WD 40.

Apparently it has a "solvent" component, and also some lubricating
oil mixed in.

A solvent and a lubricating oil seem totally contradictory in

purpose, and,
to some extent,
even self-cancelling.

But the stuff does, more or less, work.

Anyone explain ?

B.

WD-40 is a great product - if used for it's intended purposes, which is
NOT long term lubrication.
-I left a rifle leaning against the porch step overnight and it rained
on it. Stripped it down and washed it good with WD-40, then oiled it.
Not a spot of rust.
-I use it as a starting fluid for small engines that haven't been
cranked since the previous year. Provides fuel & oil into dry
cylinders.
-I spray rusted nut/bolts before trying to unscrew them. A good
penetrating oil!
-I use it on a rag as a tar remover for my car. It removes the tar and
a little soapy water removes the WD-40.
So don't listen to those who say WD-40 is a bad product. They just
don't read labels.
Bob S.