raden

In message , Richard
writes
I know this is way outside the DIY remit and should be posted to HiFi
dot something but I after sensible replies rather than baffling
technospeak. Thus, your indulgence is craved.

My aged father is proposing to celebrate (sic) surviving the recent
fitting of his pacemaker by the purchase of a DVD recorder. Neither he
nor I have any understanding of the pros, cons and meaning of all the
plus and minus stuff when it comes to choosing these beasts.

Can anyone shed any light on how to choose a DVD recorder? Does it
matter if it will record in only one of the + - formats??? Should he
simply buy Richer Sounds' latest best buy????

I would strongly recommend an HD/DVD recorder if finances stretch to a
bit over £300

You can watch and then delete, you have delayed playback (i.e. you can
pause and then watch e.g. 5 minutes behind transmission time in the
event of an interruption, you can write similar programs (e.g nature or
comedy programs to a particular disk), you can edit - they are much more
flexible

I have a Toshiba RD-X32SB and it does the job, I'm quite pleased with it

--
geoff