Mike

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I had been looking for an old Stanley #8 for a couple of years but I

could
not find one I could afford, or if I could aford it, it was a total

piece of
scrap. I was cruising Ebay last week and I saw one here in Canada for

sale,
it looked pretty tough, but it was all there. For $118 CDN (to my

door) I
had a real Stanley # 8, type 11 (1910-1918). In the photos, it does

look
bad,

Not at all. A little surface rust, and the iron is almost history; but
otherwise it looks good. Check the front of the mouth for wear. I
have a T11 #5-1/2C whose iron was worn shorter than your #8's. The
front of the mouth had become slightly concave from use. Not
necessarily a problem in a jack but maybe troublesome in a jointer.

but it is all there, just needs a little, *ahem*, work. The blade is

total write off, but I already picked up a new #8 Hock for under $20.

snip

Double gloatin' are ye?

Cheers,
Mike