L. M. Rappaport

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:27:13 -0600, "Dan" wrote
(with possible editing):

Help! I noticed water seeping inside thru my chimney during a recent heavy
rainstorm. Can anyone suggest how to fix this problem. I was going to use
UGL's "DryLok", but it is not available in clear; Thompson's Advanced
Multi-surface waterproofer comes in a clear finish- would this do the job?
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Dan

This is not what you want to hear, but I had a similar situation. We
have a two flue chimney in our living room which is connected to the
living room fireplace. We had a water leak which would manifest
itself after either a driving rain or in the winter. We tried to
identify the source - first a crack in the top of the chimney. We
tried fastplug, then finally covered it with a sheet of aluminum. We
replaced all of the flashing, then replaced a few bricks and
repointed. Nothing worked. We had every mason in the area look at it
and try to fix it. Finally, we tore the top section of the chimney
down and replaced it. That worked.

The moral - don't spend too much time and money trying to fix it. If
the obvious things don't work, just rip off the top part and rebuild
it.

Our experience only. YMMV.
--

Larry