Bud

Paul wrote:
Can someone refresh my memory as to why 240V electric baseboard heaters are
"more efficient" than 120V? In my application I am looking at install one
750W electric baseboard in a bathroom, on a dedicated 20A 120V circuit, but
the heating man strongly suggests I use a 240V model. Problem is the
breaker box is completely full, and I'd have to run a subpanel just for this
circuit if we go 240V.

You can hang more electric heaters on a 240V circuit. Some heaters are
also too high a wattage for a 120V circuit.

My other concern was GFCI protection - at 120V I could install a GFCI
breaker in the panel to protect this heater circuit -- do they even make
240V GFCI's for the panel (GE)? I am a little bit worried about someone
splashing water from the sink or a toilet overflow going into the electric
baseboard heater -- the baseboard will be within inches of each.

If water is kept away from electrical connections on a "hydronic" heater
and the heater is well grounded it is probably safe. Wiring a heater
downstream from a GFCI outlet would be a lot cheaper and avoid another
breaker.

Last item - electric "hydronic" baseboard sounds better than the standard
electric baseboards - more even temperature - but I also saw a website say
the hydronic units were "safer" - why? because the heating element is
enclosed in a fluid tube and not exposed?

I think "hydornic" heaters operate at a lower temperature.

If a flamable item contacts and blocks air circulation on a 'normal'
electric heater the temperature will rise since heat is still being
produced but not carried away and the item could catch fire. Even if the
heater has a safety thermostat it is hard to protect the whole length of
the element. A hydronic heater has an electric element heat water in a
large-surface-area tube. The water is all at about the same temperature.

I think, without looking it up, that you can't install an outlet above a
'normal' baseboard heater (because of high temperature damage to cord
insulation) but you can above a "hydronic" heater.

Bud--