Doug Miller

In article , "Paul" wrote:
Can someone refresh my memory as to why 240V electric baseboard heaters are
"more efficient" than 120V?

They're *not* more energy-efficient. A 240V heater will produce more heat than
a 120V heater of the same physical size, but it will consume proportionately
more power as well.

In my application I am looking at install one
750W electric baseboard in a bathroom, on a dedicated 20A 120V circuit, but
the heating man strongly suggests I use a 240V model. Problem is the
breaker box is completely full, and I'd have to run a subpanel just for this
circuit if we go 240V.

IMO, running a new 240V circuit to power a single 750W heater is nuts. 750W at
120V is 6.25A, well within the capacity of a 15A 120V circuit.

My other concern was GFCI protection - at 120V I could install a GFCI
breaker in the panel to protect this heater circuit

You could even install a GFCI outlet in the bathroom, and feed the heater from
that.

do they even make
240V GFCI's for the panel (GE)?

Yes, but they're pricy.

I am a little bit worried about someone
splashing water from the sink or a toilet overflow going into the electric
baseboard heater -- the baseboard will be within inches of each.

GFCI sounds like a good idea, then. You might check local code to see if it
even permits placement of an electric heater that close to fixtures.

Last item - electric "hydronic" baseboard sounds better than the standard
electric baseboards - more even temperature - but I also saw a website say
the hydronic units were "safer" - why? because the heating element is
enclosed in a fluid tube and not exposed?

Yes.

--
Regards,