Mike Marlow

"Michael White" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi all,

I'm trying to put a polyurethane coat onto a bookcase I'm building. Since
it's a prototype, it's made out of cheap, soft pine. I've got it stained,
and I'm trying to put on the final coat of polyurethane. But I keep
getting small bumps about 1 mm in diameter in the polyurethane coat. If I
sand them down and put on another coat, they come back (although I'm not
sure if they're in the same spot).

Are you "painting" in on Mike, or spreading it on? Poly does not like to be
painted. Use a good natural bristle brush or a foam pad applicator and
spread the poly in one direction, as opposed to brushing it on as you would
paint. Lots of folks work the poly too much with the brush and inject air
bubbles into their finish and it sounds like this might be biting you.

I understand that you want to solve this problem, but on a different note,
since you have a build up of poly already, at least be aware that you do
have another recourse now. Sand down your finish with 1000 grit wet paper
and use a rubbing compound to bring it back to the shine you want. You have
enough poly there, after 4 or 5 coats to be able to do quite a bit of
sanding before risking a burn through.

--

-Mike-