Brian Lawson

Hey Greg,

Pretty good photos. I do recall you asking about your "new" lathe a
few days back, but don't recall the make. Anyway, it looks to me like
this tailstock has a key-guide with tapered gib. That would make it
quite a good quality machine I would think. If that is the case,
there seems to be a screw or two counter bored to allow adjustment of
the gib itself, plus the large hex head on the rear side. I would
think after loosening the locking bolt (locks the upper and lower
parts of the tailstock together after adjustment), and also the hold
down bolt that clamps the whole tailstock to the bed, that the hex
should adjust the tailstock "sideways" either out or back as required.

What is it that you were able to "screw out" all the way? Is there a
pix of that, both in place and removed?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:56:10 -0800, "Greg Deputy"
wrote:

I'm getting familiar with a used lathe I bought a few weeks ago. I spent
last weekend getting the wiring set up for 220 (from 440) and was
successful, thanks to help from this group and others. I'm hoping to draw
on the knowledge here again.

The new challenge is the tailstock. I'm attempting to adjust it so its on
center, but can only get it to move in one direction.

When I turn what I believe to be the adjustment bolt, the tailstock will
move in one direction (towards the front of the machine), but when I turn
the bolt the other way, the bolt comes out, tailstock doesn't move. I've
now managed to get it WAY off center, since it moves one way, wont come
back. I tried turning the bolt until it came all the way out and looked
inside to see if I could figure out what was going on. The threads on the
bolt are all intact and in good shape, cant see any problems in the hole,
either.

I'm not sure what to do, can anyone suggest a course of action? I'm willing
to take it apart, but I cant seem to get it disassembled beyond pulling the
bolt out.

Here are a few (large, 800k each) pictures:

the tailstock
http://www.blastzone.com/newlathe/ta...k/102_1677.jpg

Closer shot of the same side
http://www.blastzone.com/newlathe/ta...k/102_1678.jpg

Shot of the other side. Note adjustment bolt head.
http://www.blastzone.com/newlathe/ta...k/102_1679.jpg

closer view of that side
http://www.blastzone.com/newlathe/ta...k/102_1680.jpg

I have tried adjusting it in place on the ways, as well as pulling it off
and trying it on the workbench. I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks.