Clark Griswold

"David DeBoer" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the process of selling a rental house. The previous tenant had
two cats. There is a distinct pet odor. What is the best way to get rid
of it quickly. I open the windows when I am in the place but March in
upstate NY isn't exactly conducive to that. Any thoughts??

Thanks...

I too had a rental unit that two male cats had a party in. Rip out all the
carpets. The cleaning company will tell you they treat from both sides. But
by the time they are done and the cost, you might as well get new carpeting.
And it won't work.

Next get some bleach and with a mop cover the floor and the walls. Make sure
you have plenty of ventilation or your nostrils will fry. Once the floors
dry get some polyurethane. Pour it on the floor and mop it in, up the walls
too. The bleach will kill the smell and the poly will seal whatever is left.
You may have to replace some woodwork if it is a particularly nasty area.

I then rented to a couple where one was allergic to cats. No complaints and
they stayed there for a few years, so I guess it worked.