AutoTracer

If it is ice damming it may be caused by the attic being too warm which
causes some snow to melt at the top and run down only to refreeze near the
edge when it falls off into the gutter (which is really cold compared to the
roof). You can relieve this by ventalating the attic better. check to see
that the soffit vents are not plugged with insulation. Ventalation will
equalize the temp inside and outside causing the snow to melt evenly and not
freeze only at the gutter.

Observe your neighbors roofs. If everyone is having the same problem, it
may be the particular weather cycle is hard on thawing but if your roof
seems worse or if it is a constant problem, you have a case for something.

You can always add heater cables along the edge of the roof to actively melt
the snow. This is a reliable solution if done properly (don't get cheap and
put too little cable in). Can we assume the gutters are clean and not
plugged up with leaves or something? If this is ongoing, the cost of the
cable will pale in comparison to the cost of repairing water damage.

Now if you went into the attic and added insulation or piled too many boxes
near the edge or left the hatch open that would not be a warranty situation
(though it would be nice for him to diagnose it for you). However, if he
removed the sheathing when you reroofed and disturbed the insulation or
failed to install proper vents, then you have a warranty problem. The
contractor is probably extending the manufacturers warranty on the materials
to include labor to replace those materials but anything else he may not see
as included. For example roof flashing can be damaged by high wind even if
installed correctly, is that warranty? Can't tell if your problem is due to
poor workmanship, defective materials or just premature wearout due to
unanticipated harsh conditions.

"John" wrote in message
I had a new roof put on in 1998, with a 10 year unconditional warranty.
Water is coming in though a window casing. Apparently snow on the roof is
melting, coming in though the roof, coming down the Cathedral ceiling into
the wall, and then leaking through the window casing.
The roofing company says it is perfectly normal "freeze back" and there is
absolutely nothing wrong with the roof.

I have never heard of "freeze back" before. Is it a roof problem that

needs
to be fixed?

Last year I had a leak from improper flashing and it took me a month to

get
him to pay for the repairs. He insisted I had no warranty despite what

the
contract says; so I am not really inclined to trust him now.

Thanks.