Suzie-Q

In article ,
"David DeBoer" wrote:

- Hello,
-
- I am in the process of selling a rental house. The previous tenant had two
- cats. There is a distinct pet odor. What is the best way to get rid of it
- quickly. I open the windows when I am in the place but March in upstate NY
- isn't exactly conducive to that. Any thoughts??

I agree with Colbyt that you will probably have to rip out all the
carpet to completely get rid of the smell. Problem is, if you don't
know the exact location of the urine, you can't do much about it.

Before you rip out the carpet you could get one of those professional
carpet cleaner companies to come out and steam clean your carpet. Ask
them about the pet odors. I wouldn't get a do-it-yourself carpet cleaner
because they don't really use steam -- they just dribble some cleaner
on the surface and then suck it up. You need a deep down cleaner.

Also, if the cats were spraying there will be urine on the walls -- it
could go as high as 14 inches. Get a bottle of Clorox CleanUp and a rag
and wash all the walls from 14 inches to the floor.

You can, theoretically, see urine using a black light, but I have found
that the light has to practically be on the urine to see it. So if you
try that, hold the black light very close to the wall (or whatever). I
honestly don't believe this will work with the carpet.

Another suggestion that won't help you unless someone is living in the
house is to bake something (chocolate chip cookies) as your perspective
buyer is visiting the house. This will mask the odor and give the buyer
a warm-fuzzy feeling! (or so I've heard)
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/