jacob

"Jim" wrote in message roups.com...
I'm just redecorating a room in my flat and have had to unscrew a
window from its frame to do some external repairs and replace a broken
pane since the window is not very accessible from outside.

I used putty, didn't realise how long it takes to set.

I obviously want to paint the putty to waterproof it when it has set.
However, I can't do that with the window in place (hence why I took it
out in the first place).

Is there any way I can speed the putty drying process - (say with a
hairdrier perhaps) - so I can get the window back in place sooner?

Or alternatively, is it ok to paint the putty before it has completely
set.

Thanks

If you are keeping the window inside it'll take weeks to dry. It needs
a bit of exposure to moisture and weather. Start it off by wetting it
- e.g. spray water on with plant sprayer, and then re-hang. Wet the
glass also as this helps with cleaning off putty smears later. Wait
2/3 weeks until it is dryish i.e. won't take a finger print easily,
then un-hang the window and paint it.
Best left too long rather than too soon, as long as it hasn't started
cracking or dropping off.

cheers

Jacob