Tim Douglass

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:14:40 +0000, LRod
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:40:05 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

[snip]
Second, and this is the thing that really concerns me, the infeed
table isn't parallel with the outfeed *side-to-side*. Along the length
it seems to be perfectly parallel, but if I make one edge even with
the outfeed the other edge is about 1/16" low. I haven't tried tearing
the whole thing apart to see if I can shim anything, since that will
take a lot of work, but I wondered if this discrepancy on the infeed
is really worth worrying about as long as the outfeed and fence are
good.

If it's the same 6" jointer I used to have, you're doomed. I could do
one of two things with the infeed table. I could adjust it pretty
nearly coplanar with the outfeed table (which is fixed and part of the
main body) or I could adjust the infeed table so it would move up and
down with the hand wheel. I could not do both. I even got a new infeed
table from Sears.

I've got it off the rather iffy home-built stand it was on and can see
that there are what look like 4 adjustment points (bolts with what
look like lock nuts on them) for the infeed table. Maybe I've gotten
lucky and I can actually just adjust it to be level.

I tried shimming. I looked at it time and again trying to reengineer
it. I had it apart more times than you can count, but the only way I
ever got anything done successfully was when I replaced it with a
DJ15...which is for sale, by the way, and only because I now have a
DJ20.

Some day. But for right now this little gift opens up the possibility
of getting a planer and finally getting away from buying S4S.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com