Wayne Cook

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:56:10 -0800, "Greg Deputy"
wrote:

I'm getting familiar with a used lathe I bought a few weeks ago. I spent
last weekend getting the wiring set up for 220 (from 440) and was
successful, thanks to help from this group and others. I'm hoping to draw
on the knowledge here again.

The new challenge is the tailstock. I'm attempting to adjust it so its on
center, but can only get it to move in one direction.

When I turn what I believe to be the adjustment bolt, the tailstock will
move in one direction (towards the front of the machine), but when I turn
the bolt the other way, the bolt comes out, tailstock doesn't move. I've
now managed to get it WAY off center, since it moves one way, wont come
back. I tried turning the bolt until it came all the way out and looked
inside to see if I could figure out what was going on. The threads on the
bolt are all intact and in good shape, cant see any problems in the hole,
either.

I'm not sure what to do, can anyone suggest a course of action? I'm willing
to take it apart, but I cant seem to get it disassembled beyond pulling the
bolt out.

Here are a few (large, 800k each) pictures:

Looks to me like the adjustment bolt isn't original. There may be
some pieces missing.

Most tail stocks adjust with a setscrew pressing from each side to a
projection in the center. However there's no sign of this being the
case here.

On the Sebastian tailstock I modified to fit my Pratt and Whitney
lathe there's a single adjusting bolt. In this case there's a nut with
a setscrew in it on the inside of the tailstock to keep the screw from
coming out. There's several other possible ways of holding the screw
but you'd need to at least take a picture of the screw out of the
tailstock and preferably a pic of the inside of the tail for me to
make any guesses as to the method used on your tailstock.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook