Ray wrote:
I temporarily set up some 4 foot 2 lamp flourescent lights in a

workshop
that I'm building in my backyard. This evening temp was about 60 and

one
light did not want to come one. Yesterday the temp was a bit warmer

and I
did not have any trouble. I've heard that these lights do not work

very
well when the temperature drops below 50 degress F.

I routinely use the cheapo ballasts from Home Depot without any problem
here in Michigan. They do start out a bit dim, and flicker a bunch,
but after 5 or 10 minutes they warm up to full brightness. This is in
an unheated garage where it might be 10 or 20 degrees (F).