Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:53:33 -0600, the inscrutable Dan Oelke
spake:

In my current abode they used floor trusses for both the first and
second floor. From the basement I have easy access (for now) to the
first floor trusses. They are great in that they allow for such a long
span and a very open floor plan. However - there is a fair amount of
bounce in the floors, especially when two kids get a little excited
running around the house. This is especially true in the kitchen area
which has cabinets all around, heavy appliances, island, etc. so I
suspect that this added "normal" load makes them a little more flexible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to stiffen or strengthen these
trusses? There is currently one strongback going across the trusses
about mid-span between the supported ends. This isn't something that I
am afraid has been under-engineered to start with. From my reading of
some span tables, etc the spans are well within what they can be for
that size of truss. I'm just looking to reduce the rattling of
glasses/light fixtures, etc when the kids go jumping.

Some ideas I have had a

1) Add additional strongbacks. How big is useful? Would a 2x6 do much
or do I need a 2x10 or 2x12 before it does any good? Going around
heating ducts and drain lines could prove somewhat a challenge to get
bigger sized material in place.

I watched an old TOH classic where their plumber used strongbacks
on his own house. 'Twas steel plate bolted through the joists. They
jacked it up to remove the sag, drilled, bolted, and let 'er down.

That or a post or two would go a long way toward reducing dish
rattling until:

A) you get dem wildarsed kids under control
OR
B) they grow up.

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com