Will

Al:

Not arguing with you... but... See below.

Al Reid wrote:
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message news:423847A8=

=20
Eddie Munster wrote:

It may need a new switch, one for 220.

For what reason...any UL-listed switch supplied will be rated for at
least 250V and amperage for 110V which is twice the current at 220V.

=20
=20
A switch for 220VAC should be, in the US of A, a 2 pole switch. That i=

s, both hot, ungrounded conductors should be switched. For
the same reason the breaker is a 2 pole device.
=20

You are absolutely correct in that this would be a "good thing" -- is it =

indeed the law? Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it is a=20
requirement... LOL

You twigged me because I recently installed a thermostat for a baseboard =

heater... It was (from the original installation) single pole. The newer =

thermostats I bought were indeed double-pole -- but I could have bought=20
single pole style thermostats. All styles were UL and CSA approved for=20
use in Canada or the USA... I made a mental note to replace it on the=20
next go-round -- but I did not like using it it -- it was expedient=20
though. (Expediency is usually the first step down the path to something =

falling out of the sky... I Know.)

The DPST switch is indeed smarter (safer) you are right.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw