Lurch

Default Help! RCD Keeps tripping on new wiring

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 22:23:59 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Martin Angove
strung together this:

In message ,
(Lurch) wrote:

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:07:27 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Martin Angove
strung together this:

Well, not quite. Leaving aside Andrew's claim to have found RCBOs under
30 quid I am going to quibble with your figures. I've had a tiring day
and need something daft to think about :-)

[snip calculations]

But you could, on a new installation, have one RCBO protected circuit
powering a collection of outside sockets at roughly each corner of the
building, and that would be all that was needed. How much difference
would that be then?

Well, that is nearly the same as I have suggested at the end of all that
twaddle. The way I did it was to buy a Volex split kit for £60 and add
a Volex RCBO for £30 - so total cost £90. It's not just outside sockets
which need RCD protection remember, so it's not a simple case of buying
a non-RCD board + MCBs for £not much and just using a single RCBO :-)

In *most* installations then. RCD protection is required for portable
equipment used outdoors, and occasionally other singular items inside
which can usually be covered by an RCD spur. As with most things on
here the actual end result after OT tangents is pretty much every
installation differs, so there is no hard and fast rule!
One thing I just noticed you missed from the original calculations was
the need for a DP switch and enclosure to be able to isolate both
boards from one point. So another £15 or so.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.