David F. Eisan

Default Restoring #8, part 1 (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

I had been looking for an old Stanley #8 for a couple of years but I could
not find one I could afford, or if I could aford it, it was a total piece of
scrap. I was cruising Ebay last week and I saw one here in Canada for sale,
it looked pretty tough, but it was all there. For $118 CDN (to my door) I
had a real Stanley # 8, type 11 (1910-1918). In the photos, it does look
bad, but it is all there, just needs a little, *ahem*, work. The blade is a
total write off, but I already picked up a new #8 Hock for under $20. I
couldn't find a big enough plastic container around the house to de-rust the
plane in, so some scrap plywood and plastic to the rescue for a makeshift
electrolysis tank. The handles are in a glass jar with lacquer thinner being
stripped, 80 years of sweaty palms makes for some ugly dirty lacquer
thinner.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/8-1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/8-1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/8-1.jpg

I cannot wait for a few days to pass when I can take it out of the tank and
clean it off to see how it really looks.

Take care,

David.