George

"rockhound" wrote in message
dont know why they cut down this great tree but they did. one of the

largest
cherrys ive seen around portland oregon. was almost four feet diameter at
chest hight, larger at the butt. by the time i noticed they had allready
bucked it all up to about 2' lengths. they said help yourself so... 4

trailer
loads later i have a huge pile of cherry rounds in my yard.
the smell of fresh cut cherry wood is amazing! varies from a really sweet
smell like marachino(sp?) cherrys to a more mild smell like apple pie.
snaped a few pics of last nights turning seession. will post more if

theres
interest.

Wait 'till the sun shines, Rockhound. Cherry warms up and produces a
wonderful almond-scented gas. Hope you're turning like a fiend, because
it's a shame to waste it. Stand your pieces on end and lay pieces of
plastic on top, weighted with shavings until you've got enough slabs from
trimming to use as covers. This should keep you a week or so without checks
as long as they're out of the sun.

One of the state cross-country trails I use winds through an area which
burned in the 'thirties, and the volunteer cherry trees in the swales are
5-6' in diameter. I'd drool, but I'm sure they all have brown heart
anyway....