Richard Clements wrote:
a more pointed question is should we have gone to war in WWII, it's
interesting how simular the two wars where and at the same time so
different. in Iraq, just like in WWII you had a murdering dictator,

who
had goals of expansion, Hitler wanted Europe, Saddam wanted more

middle
east oil.

I should just cite Godwin.

But instead I will go to the trouble to point out that even
before annexing Czechoslavakia and Austria Germany was the
most populous nation in Western Europe, and technologically
advanced. By the time the US entered the war Germany had
conquered most of Western Europe and even then it was only
after Germany decalred war on the US that the US reciprocated.

Iraq, OTOH was a much smaller nation that had twice failed
in its attempts to expand its territory by war and by the
time the US invaded had already been reduced to complete
military impotency.

If you want to draw a parallel between WWII and the invasion
of Iraq I suggest you consider the invasion of Abysinia.

--

FF